Email Address

Phone Number


Our Location

Based in Virginia

Now that Thanksgiving is over & the holiday season is upon us, this is the perfect time for us to go over some important tips to keep your pets safe and healthy.

Your halls will be decked, your tables full of food and your house filled with guests…how can you keep your pets safe with all of this? Read on and find out!


The holidays are filled with delicious food to warm your heart and soul. As much as your pets may beg, please never feed the following treats:

  • Chocolate or anything containing any amount of chocolate
  • Alcohol
  • Yeast Dough
  • Nutmeg
  • Dairy Products such as Milk, Cream & Cheese
  • Eggnog
  • Various Nuts
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Chives
  • Ham 
  • Bacon
  • Raisins
  • Grapes
  • Bones or carcasses
  • The artificial sweetener Xylitol 

Pets are naturally curious creatures. To ensure they do not pull a sneak attack, keep food away from the corners of the table, make sure all garbage cans are securely closed and never leave any food unattended. 


A beautiful plant can liven up your home and brighten a dark day. Did you know that some plants are toxic to your pets? Please check out the list below and “pet-proof” your home by removing these plants, not only in the holiday season but year-round too.

  • Holly
  • Mistletoe
  • Lilies
  • Amaryllis
  • Balsam
  • Pine
  • Cedar
  • Poinsettias
  • Potpourris
  • Tulips
  • Azalea
  • Daffodils
  • Christmas Cactus


For some, having a Christmas tree is a tradition that you will never break. However, a tree can pose some risks for your pets. So, how can you keep them safe while having your beautiful tree protected too?

  • Make sure your tree is anchored safely to the floor so your excited cat or dog cannot knock it over.
  • Many will add fertilizer, aspirin, or sugar to the tree water to keep it healthy. DO NOT do this! The water should be 100% pure water and change it often as old water can become a breeding ground for bacterial growth.
  • All ornaments should be kept out of reach as the broken fragments can cause internal obstructions if ingested. 
  • Finally, all wires should be placed in such a way that they are not exposed to the pets. A live electrical wire can cause shock and severe damage to the mouth if chewed on.

Additional decorations can pose a risk to your canine and feline friends.

  • If you are using an electrical Menorah, make sure the wires are safely hidden. If you are using candles, you should make sure that they are never left unattended as the pets can knock them over and cause a fire or burn themselves in the process.
  • Tinsel, yarn and ribbon are attractive to pets, especially cats. They will not understand that they should not ingest this so make sure to never leave it unattended or in areas that they can access. Ingesting these products is dangerous as it can get stuck in their intestines, requiring immediate surgery.


If you happen to have any guests over this holiday season or at any time throughout the year, please read the tips below to ensure your pets stay inside and safe. 

  • It is recommended to keep your pets in a safe room where they cannot sneak out of the door as people go in and out.
  • Let guests know prior how many pets you have so they are aware.
  • Make sure that your pet has identifications tags on in case they do get out and get lost. It is also recommended that your pet be microchipped for extra safety measures. 
  • Pets can be easily overwhelmed by noise and company. It is always great to have a separate room or part of the house that the pet can escape to if they want to be alone in the quiet. Make sure this space has a bed and food/water and some comfort items. 

We wish you and your pets a wonderful, safe and healthy holiday season and a Happy New Year!

Leave a Reply